Where do you find your value? This is something I really struggle with. If you're a believer in Christ, you are taught that your value is in Christ. He's the creator of the universe, the most VIP of all time, and he DIED for me. For each of us. Because he loves us each that much. Not just collectively, but each individually. If that doesn't prove your value, what does, right? But still, I wonder, where do we look for value? Where do I look for my value?
I'm sure some people define their value in how much money they make. I work at a non-profit, so hopefully I don't equate my personal value with how much I make.
Instead, I find that I often look for my value in my accomplishments and in relationships.
I've always striven to impress people. In school, I took pride in my good grades, being first chair in band, etc. I wanted to get along with everyone, for teachers to know me, to be liked and to do a good job. That has crossed over into my career and many of my personal goals. My job is to help people. I like helping people because I feel appreciated. I like to tell people what I do because it's unique and difficult and I genuinely love it. This sounds super stupid but I'll say it, it makes me feel like a good person. Many of the goals I have are similar. I want to travel the world, help people, etc, etc, etc. I genuinely do want to do these things, part of it is that it's what I love, part of it is I feel God calls us all to reach out to people, part of it is it makes me feel like a good person, and part of it is, I like other people to think I'm a good person. Where does value fit in to all this? I feel valuable when I'm helping people. I feel valued by those I help and I feel admired by those that may think I'm doing good work. The problem is, if you find your value in feeling needed and in others thinking you're a good person, you stop helping, you lose your sense of value. I think working hard and doing everything well is admirable and important and it's great if what you're doing is valuable to others, but we shouldn't equate what we DO with our value.
When if comes to relationships, I am a person that dives in whole-heartedly, grab on tight and don't easily release. I think it's because I feel valuable if I know I matter to people. But is this a good judge of personal value? People are fickle. You will always be let down, let me tell you. If I think through relationships, personal and professional, it's not easy to feel valuable just based on that. For the most part, you can rationalize why the relationship exists. Families love you because they're wired to love you. Not to downplay how special families are. It's an amazing, often unconditional love. But it's easy for me to rationalize the love. At my work, my client's value me because of what I do for them. If I stopped helping them, I doubt they'd be as excited to see me. Friendships are special because you chose your friends and that's all that's holding you together, therefore one would assume they find value in you. I think that's also why so many people long for true love. Like friendships, a romantic relationship is one that you cannot rationalize away quite as easily as all the rest. But unlike friendships, it's one person that should value you above everyone else, and that's powerful if that's how you define your value. The problem is, friends and special someone's still let you down.
I don't think it's bad to feel valuable to others. Not at all. But is that where we should find our value? I think feeling valued by those around you is necessary, but it shouldn't define how valuable you are. I do believe that I am valuable to God and that is the ultimate measure of personal value. It's unconditional. Because He created me, I am valuable. End of story. Should there be a difference between where you find your value, and feeling valued? Why is it sometimes so hard to differentiate where your value comes from and feeling valued? I guess my challenge to you is to consider, where do you find your personal value? Do you know that no matter what, no matter who agrees, you are valuable? But also, I think it's important that we let people know that they are valuable to us. Mother Theresa said (roughly) that the greatest sickness in the world is feeling unloved. It's because people don't realize their value. If you believe in God, please remember you have a great deal of value. YOU KNOW WHY (please read as quoted on 'What Happens In Vegas'). Treat everyone remembering that they have the same value as you, because of Christ. And, though it doesn't define a person's value, remember that it makes people feel good to know they're valuable to you :) Just good things to think on. And just for the record, all of you (that I'm aware of) that are readers of my blog, you ARE valuable to me :) But regardless, your VALUE is immeasurable.
I am surprising myself with the cheesyness of this blog... but even if it's something I have to constantly remind myself, I believe it wholeheartedly.
You may have thought you were being cheesy, but it was just the cheese I needed. Thanks, this was really tender.
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister. You are super loved and valued by me, and I'm refreshingly reminded that both of us are loved by a much greater source that doesn't let us down. :)
ReplyDeleteYay for valuable Sydney! Great write-up. And you were SuPeR missed this last week at work. Not that you get your value from the position...but you are invaluable just the same!
ReplyDelete