Tuesday, May 5, 2009

HFHS

I just realized, I don't update short updates about little things, like my job. You know...that's just small. Only the main reason I'm here, haha. Yesterday was really cool because the second half of the day, our director took me, Jessica, and Nell on a little tour of the area, showing us the sites we've built on so we could see some of our houses. We got to go inside a house we're building right now and also drove by some of the first homes we built here about 20 years ago. It's really cool to see what Habitat has done here. We're really focused on improving communities so when we go into a bad area and build houses, we try to improve the whole neighborhood. It's really amazing. Our director was talking about how sometimes, just going into a run down part of the city and putting time and effort into the area can show them that someone cares and that we think they're worth it can help.

As we drove around, it was also very sad to see the disparity. You go from one neighborhood w/ million dollar houses and cross the bridge and you're in the middle of a gang neighborhood w/ run down houses...we even saw one tht was just a broken down box car on cinder blocks. It's really sad. One cool thing we want to work on more, is going into those neighborhoods and spread the word that, if they own their home, and it's sufficient housing, then we can come in and totally overhaul the house for them. I didn't know we could do that, but that's amazing! So cool.

So, each day I'm learning more about Habitat and the more I find out about this organization, the more I like it. Very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment