Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Dose of Optimism

I have spent an inordinate amount of time telling all of you about the bad things here: No friends, hot weather, unfriendly people, bad drivers, etc. I wanted to share w/ you some of the good things.
1) I am enjoying my job. I get bored sometimes, but when I think of the purpose behind what I’m doing and the amazing people I’m working w/ (both the families and coworkers), I really like it. I love the endless possibilities. I love that I am supposed to create programs and be innovative. I feel like I have real purpose.
2) I love my home here and my roommate, Lori. She’s one of the nicest people. The house feels like home. I love my room, I love the colors of the house and the beautiful backyard area and laying in the pool and swimming on ridiculously hot days. I miss my parent’s home and the Selway Ct house, especially the people in both houses, but I do like my house here. As sucky and lonely as it gets at my home, I have learned to enjoy time on my own a bit more, which I think is good for me. I’ve made more God time, which is still not a lot of time, but happens about once a week. I’m proud of that. That’s HUGE for me.
3) I LOVE LeeAnne’s Grandma’s relatives (however distantly related they actually are) that live here. They are the sweetest people. I feel that Sharon and her husband Dan genuinely care for me. When they constantly invite me, I feel like they really want me there, not just because they feel like I need a friend. I think they do know that, but they really want me there and really want to help in whatever way possible. They even made me be in their 4th of July family photo :o) So cute.
4) I love the bay area. So much. I’m 2 hours away which isn’t super close, but it’s not terribly far away. It’s so pretty and the weather is a nice change from the valley. There are bad parts (for sure) but also very very good parts. I don’t think I mentioned to anyone that last time I was there I rode the bus next to the bush man. That was VERY exciting for me. I like that I can just go window shopping and that there are FABULOUS stores to look in. (H&M? WOOT!) I like the diversity and I want to live in China Town. I love being by the ocean.
5) I also love that I’m so close to so many things to do. I just need to find someone or get brave and start going on my own.
6) I thoroughly enjoy riding my bike, esp in the am. Not necessarily in the evening when it’s 100+ degrees. I can’t wait for the fall/winter time (since winter quite possibly will feel like fall to me here, ha).
Well, there you have it. I'm hoping by dwelling on the positive I may start to notice the negative a little less. Much love.

1 comment:

  1. Syd. I've decided that we should look into having an adventure together. After some Idaho time, of course. Then we could split rent and not be as lonely, eh?

    ReplyDelete